Remove this ad

Dirigible Nut

Airship Crew Chief

Lead

Feb 28 14 6:27 PM

Tags : :

Huge scratch built 49-1/2" long 1/200th scale Hindenburg model was built by me in March of 1972. This model is the centerpiece of all my aerial/ space models in my hobby room. Even after 42 years, it still displays good, even though it has suffered some damage, but most of it has been repaired. The last thing I did to this model was I reconstructed the control car in around 1990 to look more realistic than the original one I made for the model.. The model is made out of balsawood longitudals stringers with cardboard disc ring formers, and covered with original silkspan model aircraft covering..

Jim.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

lta

Assistant Pilot In Command (APIC)

#1 [url]

Mar 1 14 8:05 AM

How much did this model cost you? Btw the Hindenburg is my favorite airship.. I guess because of the size :)

Quote    Reply   

Dirigible Nut

Airship Crew Chief

#2 [url]

Mar 1 14 9:50 AM

About $60.00 in 1972 for all the materials and supplies to build the thing. It was not a cheap proposition back then.
Remember this model is over four feet long and eight inches in diameter at the widest point of the hull. It took alot of material to build this model, including the model aircraft dope for the covering of the frame, the silkspan covering paper, itself, and mostly for all the balsa wood I used in it. I saved alot of money on this project by using alot of department store gift boxes for the cardboard for making the concentric ring discs for making the basic shape of the hull, cut out in the center to slide on a 3/4" X 3/4" square stick axial keel.Otherwise if I would have had to pay for the cardboard to make the ring discs, the project would have ran over $100.00. The overall appearance of the big dirigible model is that it does look like the homemade project that it is, made by an 8th grader in junior high school. The hull is far from smooth and by what I can do today is quite "lumpy". but beings that this was my fourth attempt and scratch building a model of a large rigid airship, using only a small profile plan that I blew up by using graph paper, I do not think it came out half bad. that is why I still have and maintain the model today, yet.

Jim.

imageimageimage

Last Edited By: Dirigible Nut Mar 1 14 12:19 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

lta

#3 [url]

Mar 1 14 3:46 PM

Dang my Hindenburg model cost me around that much,and mines a 1:720. The kit costed around 30 and all the paint, glue, and other supplies cost around $20 to $25. 

Quote    Reply   

lta

#4 [url]

Mar 1 14 3:47 PM

I'd say it came out quite nicely 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Dirigible Nut

Airship Crew Chief

#5 [url]

Mar 1 14 4:51 PM

If you would figure in for inflation today, LTA, that price would probably double,if not triple that amount that I paid for the materials and supplies for that model.Plus the time I took in drawing up the plans for the  model before I was able to build the thing, too. If I remember correctly, it took me two months to build it.

Jim.

Quote    Reply   

lta

#6 [url]

Mar 1 14 10:05 PM

Shoot! Have you seen the models of the same scale on amazon?!? There prices are in the hundreds.

Last Edited By: lta Mar 1 14 10:20 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Hlostoops

Airship Crew Chief

#7 [url]

Jun 23 14 3:05 PM

And for a relatively inaccurate model at that! Does anyone still have photos (from the old forum) of the huge Graf Zeppelin II airport build? Now THAT was a huge model!

Quote    Reply   

Zeppelin Historian

Airship Crew Chief

#8 [url]

Jul 6 14 11:03 AM

Yes "Hlostoops" I do have pictures of this model, built by John Mellberg. Here are a few of them:

The are only two minor mistakes on this model: It has the landing wheels of the LZ 129 and the LZ 130 never had four 3-bladed propellers, they were only mounted to the forward engines. In the rear there were 4-bladed propellers. And the windows, hatsches and openings at the bottom of the hull are also from the LZ 129, what few people would notice though. But this is definitely the most accruate and excellently built model of a rigid airship I have seen so far.

Best regards,
Andreas

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help