Remove this ad

Dirigible Nut

Airship Crew Chief

Lead

Feb 28 14 6:14 PM

Tags : :

Scratch built balsa wood frame and tissue paper covered model of
General Umberto Nobile's semi rigid airship N-1 "Norge" which flew over the North Pole in 1928. I built this model in 1972 when I was fourteen years old.

Last Edited By: Dirigible Nut Feb 28 14 6:18 PM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

lta

Assistant Pilot In Command (APIC)

#1 [url]

Mar 1 14 8:08 AM

I really like this model. You did a good job on it. Have you ever had any of your models in a model show?

Quote    Reply   

Dirigible Nut

Airship Crew Chief

#2 [url]

Mar 1 14 10:11 AM

No, I have not, as balsa wood and tissue paper models are very delicate and damage very easily if they are not handled with extreme care. Add the 40 plus years of age they have on them, they are even more so.If I would enter these old models in a show, I would first have to encapsulate them in clear plexiglas display boxes to keep peoples hands off of them to keep them from breaking the struts that hold the gondolas to the hulls of these things. It is natural for people, not just kids to touch the things they like to look at, and unfortunately with these models, like their real counterparts are very delicate, and it is not wise to let them be touched let alone handled at all. The ONLY reason these models have survived the test of decades of time is. once we have moved to a place, the models were hung, and I kept my hands as well as everybody else who see them off the models. I am very vehement about this as I recently had to repair damage to my aftermentioned 1973 30" long R-101  model, when I was dusting it when I took it down to do so. I knocked off one of the forward engine cars,and had to repair it.

Jim.

imageimageimage

Last Edited By: Dirigible Nut Mar 1 14 1:53 PM. Edited 3 times.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help